You’ll need to know the IP address for your router if you wish to make modifications to it. Maybe you would like to change router settings such as change the name of the network, create a new WiFi password or use another channel to boost your Internet speed. These functions are accessible via the login page of your router, but only if you are able to find the IP address for your router.
Regardless of whether you’re using your internet provider’s router or one you bought yourself, logging into your router should be the same process. Using a dedicated router or a combination router provided by your service provider should have the same effect.
What is an IP Address (Internet Protocol)?
A network’s devices are identified by their IP addresses, which are a unique string of digits. Such an address makes it possible for the mailman to know exactly where to drop your packages.
There are two types of IP addresses: public and private. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), for instance, AT&T or Comcast, will assign you a public IP address. Devices with a private IP address usually have to connect to a public IP address via a modem in order to be connected to the outside world.
How to Find IP Address for Your Router on Windows
You can find your IP address for your router with the Command Prompt app or the Control Panel if you are using Windows. The Prompt app will give you a default gateway address or IP address, type ipconfig, hit Enter, and your system will display your default gateway address or IP address. Go to Network > Network Status & Tasks View > Ethernet > Details in Control Panel. The steps for each method are below.
How to Use Command Prompt to Find the IP Address for your router
1. Go to the Windows search bar and type Command Prompt.
2. After that, press Enter. You may also double-click the Command Prompt app in the search results to open it or click Open or Run as administrator.
3. In the command prompt, type ipconfig and click Enter.
4. Next to the Default Gateway, you’ll see the IP address for your router.
How to Use Control Panel to Find the IP Address for your router
To find the IP address of your router, if you prefer using the control panel:
1. Click on the Start button and type Control Panel into the windows search box.
2. Press the Enter key. The Control Panel program can also be double-clicked.
3. Select View network status and tasks under the Network and Internet.
4. Next, click on the link for Connection: WiFi. If you’re using an Ethernet cable to connect directly to your router, this can display Connection: Ethernet instead.
5. In the pop-up box, click on Details.
6. Next to IPv4 Default Gateway, you’ll see the IP address for your router.
How to Sign In To Your Router
1. Open a web browser
You can use any web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
2. Enter the default IP address of your router in the search bar
It’s possible that you’ll be informed that the webpage you’re attempting to access is insecure when you do so. Click on the option to continue even if it’s unsafe after you’ve double-checked the address.
3. Enter your router’s username and password to gain access
Note: Your router’s manual should have this information. The default log-in information varies from router to router.
iPhone or iPad
1. Tap “Settings” and then tap “Wi-Fi.”
2. On the Wi-Fi page, tap the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to.
3. Scroll down to the “IPV4 ADDRESS” section. Your router’s IP address will be listed next to “Router.”
To begin, go to Applications > System Tools > Terminal and enter the command ‘ipconfig‘. Next to ‘inet addr,’ you’ll see your router’s IP address.
You can connect to a wireless Wi Fi network by going to Settings > WiFi and selecting the wireless Wi Fi network that is currently connected to your device in iOS9. Find your router’s IP address by looking in the DHCP section.
MAC (Macintosh Operating System) OS
To find your router’s IP address, follow these simple steps:
Go to the Apple menu by clicking on it (top of the screen)
Go to ‘System Preferences‘ and select that option.
Open your network by clicking on the ‘Network‘ button.
Select the appropriate internet protocol address for your device.
Select ‘Advanced‘ from the drop-down menu.
To see the router’s IP address, go to the ‘TCP/IP‘ tab and click on it.
Android users can use Wi-Fi Analyzer, an app developed by a third party. After you install the app, select ‘AP list‘ from the ‘View‘ menu. Connected to [Network Name] will be displayed. An information window will appear when you tap on it, and it will show the IP address of your router, among other things.
To access the notification area, go to the taskbar and select it. Afterward, on the list that appears, select ‘Connected to [Network Name]‘ Select your wireless network and then select the ‘Network’ tab to see the results, which will include the IP address of your router.
Now you know where to look and what to look for, you should be able to locate your router’s IP address on other devices that we haven’t discussed. It should be visible on any device that allows you to connect to the network and view information about the network connection. You can find the default route address in the network connection details under the gateway, router, or wireless network adapter.